AcrophobiA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomewwwLatest imagesRegisterLog in
This forum is closed. Please register on the new forum at www.therealacrophobia.com/forum

how to shorten a rear end

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
earned inkome

earned inkome

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-09-06

how to shorten a rear end Empty
PostSubject: how to shorten a rear end   how to shorten a rear end EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 6:21 pm

does anyone know how to shorten my rear end on my 2000 chevy silverado?
Back to top Go down
tuckin-taco93

tuckin-taco93

Male
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: how to shorten a rear end   how to shorten a rear end EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 7:12 pm

dont know how to shorten one , but narrowing isnt that hard , but i wouldnt suggest it for someone who dosnt have the jig to line the axles back up to have it true
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/thomas.kilpatrick.12
SelfBuiltRods
Acro Prospect
SelfBuiltRods

Male
Number of posts : 1070
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: how to shorten a rear end   how to shorten a rear end EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 9:41 pm

It's cake actually! It's best to cut the tubes on a bandsaw, but once you get it cut, and you take out the inches you need, take and weld some 1/2 flatbar standing up on the tubes still connected to the chunk. As long a piece possible is great. Basically, looking into the tube you have a flat bar at top dead center, left dead center, right dead center, and bottom dead center. Now this creates a guide for you to slip your shortened tube into your new "jig". I would recommend at least 6" on each side of the cut. Before welding, bevel each cut real good, and make sure your outer flanges are exactly the same as before you cut em. Hope this helps lol.
Back to top Go down
earned inkome

earned inkome

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: how to shorten a rear end   how to shorten a rear end EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 pm

wow man that dont seem so cake lol. i wanna narrow it but i dont really understand it
Back to top Go down
screwdriver
Acro Rep
screwdriver

Male
Number of posts : 1005
Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: how to shorten a rear end   how to shorten a rear end EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 5:25 am

MINE IS NARROWED 3" total so when i ordered axels due to being c-clip axels, i told them to send me 1 1/2 shorter than factory and they worked out great! i got them from Moser! this was my first time cutting onr down but we had a jig and it was easy with it! we got to looking and the factory was off quite a bit but it is strait and smooth now! it was 4yrs ago when i done mine and i drive it every where and i havent't had any problems
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to shorten a rear end   how to shorten a rear end Empty

Back to top Go down

how to shorten a rear end
Page 1 of 1