AcrophobiA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomewwwLatest imagesRegisterLog in
This forum is closed. Please register on the new forum at www.therealacrophobia.com/forum

battery/alternator help

Go down 
+3
95lows10ri
bdpaco
matt92toy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
matt92toy
Acro Rep
matt92toy

Male
Number of posts : 1929
Registration date : 2008-08-13

battery/alternator help Empty
PostSubject: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 8:29 pm

well while driving my mazda around my radio, amps, compressors, all that good shit cut off well first thing that came to mind is the alternator is bad. BUT the headlights did not dim and when i get home i figured out that if i cut the headlights off and rev the moter then the radio and all would come on. well i cut it off and went in and came back out and the battery was to dead to even pop my doors. so now im thinkin the battery went dead and the alt did not have enough power to run all that stuff but i just never heard of a battery just quiting while going down the road i mean i have never had a prob out of the battery at all its still in stock location so its not like under the bed where a rock could hit it or something oh it is a optama red top
Back to top Go down
bdpaco

bdpaco

Male
Number of posts : 861

PostSubject: Re: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 pm

everything runs off the battery and the alternator is there to keep it charged, if the alternator seems to be charging some its probably your regulator on the alternator going out...some regulators are separate from the alternators and some are built in, newer ones are built in so the whole alt would have to be replaced...another thing it could be is a bad ground cutting in and out on the battery because of corrosion or some such...thats where I would start at bro! hope that helps...
Back to top Go down
http://www.gobigcustomphoto.com
matt92toy
Acro Rep
matt92toy

Male

PostSubject: Re: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 8:55 pm

yeah i did not get a chance to break in to it today where i can get under the hood i hopeing its just something like that i just thought its kinda weird not ever having any prob i mean i had just left from eating so i mean it cranked fine no prob then a mile down the road nothing
Back to top Go down
95lows10ri
Acro Prospect
95lows10ri

Male
Number of posts : 826

PostSubject: Re: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 8:57 pm

could be a combination of the two..., battery on its way out and an alternator not charging like it used to... take it to autozone and have em run a test on both the alternator and battery
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/cmorin543
matt92toy
Acro Rep
matt92toy

Male

PostSubject: Re: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 9:13 pm

yeah thats what i was gonna do in the AM
Back to top Go down
whytry85

whytry85

Male
Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2008-09-01

PostSubject: Re: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 10:13 pm

also, alot of the newer optimas are getting to where they are dropping a cell in the middle of a cycle (while alternator is charging....). ive defected many of them out with a new one and have had it happen a second time so it could be the battery itself.... just giving you a heads up man....

im starting to lean more towards the odyssey and kinetik batteries for highly modified vehicles.......

just my .02 cents....
Back to top Go down
msturg

msturg

Male
Number of posts : 514
Registration date : 2008-08-18

PostSubject: Re: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:35 am

yeah, my buddy just had a real similar issue with his optima, it was about 9 or 10 months old I think and was dead to the world and wouldn't take a charge.

I disagree to an extent with what Paco said about the vehicle running off of the battery. The easiest way to tell if the alternator is good is jump the vehicle or throw in a good battery for a minute. Start the truck which is what the battery is truly there for surge loads. You should now be able to pull the battery out while the truck is running and the truck should not die or you have an issue.

However this doesn't take into consideration accessories like compressors and stereo equipment. Throwing that out there also as an idea on how to get to autozone. I have seen issues in the past where the truck will start with a jump but it just won't hold a charge, which is a great way to get yourself in trouble, lol
Back to top Go down
xxxxcjxxxx
Acro Rep
xxxxcjxxxx

Male
Number of posts : 4924

PostSubject: Re: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:38 am

msturg wrote:
yeah, my buddy just had a real similar issue with his optima, it was about 9 or 10 months old I think and was dead to the world and wouldn't take a charge.

I disagree to an extent with what Paco said about the vehicle running off of the battery. The easiest way to tell if the alternator is good is jump the vehicle or throw in a good battery for a minute. Start the truck which is what the battery is truly there for surge loads. You should now be able to pull the battery out while the truck is running and the truck should not die or you have an issue.

However this doesn't take into consideration accessories like compressors and stereo equipment. Throwing that out there also as an idea on how to get to autozone. I have seen issues in the past where the truck will start with a jump but it just won't hold a charge, which is a great way to get yourself in trouble, lol

x2
Back to top Go down
http://www.acrophobia.net
matt92toy
Acro Rep
matt92toy

Male

PostSubject: Re: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 2:27 pm

well i pulled the battery today took it to advance and it had 6 volts on it so i bought a new battery took it home and she ran like a champ. still dont know why it just went out i mean i cranked it drove to the store to get gas, filled it up cranked it agin drove fine went and ate cranked agin then like a mile down the road died idk makes no since
Back to top Go down
Frontin on 22's
Acro Member
Frontin on 22's

Male
Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2008-08-14

PostSubject: Re: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:38 pm

matt92toy wrote:
well i pulled the battery today took it to advance and it had 6 volts on it so i bought a new battery took it home and she ran like a champ. still dont know why it just went out i mean i cranked it drove to the store to get gas, filled it up cranked it agin drove fine went and ate cranked agin then like a mile down the road died idk makes no since

Sounds like u did to much cranking on it u know that shit will make ya go blind lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
matt92toy
Acro Rep
matt92toy

Male

PostSubject: Re: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 pm

yep yep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: battery/alternator help   battery/alternator help Empty

Back to top Go down

battery/alternator help
Page 1 of 1