AcrophobiA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomewwwLatest imagesRegisterLog in
This forum is closed. Please register on the new forum at www.therealacrophobia.com/forum

North Texas Newb

Go down 
+11
laid720
Andrew B
The Geno
keith
SelfBuiltRods
TurkeyDrag
shithead
NWA STEVE
TorkiT
rojo
Isaac3384
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
rojo
Acro Rep
rojo

Male
Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2008-09-14

North Texas Newb - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 am

What did you decide on suspension?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/anaandrojo
Isaac3384

Male
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2012-10-14

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 10:45 am

I'm still undecided on bags or coilovers, but I'm leaning more towards the bags. The kit they offer comes with new steering components (a new passenger side knuckle, rod that connects the passenger and driver side knuckle, and a new bar that connects the Pittman arm to the passenger knuckle) to help keep the steering on a more lateral plane to help maintain a straight steering wheel and tires. They said it will still turn the steering wheel some, but it's not as bad as with the stock components. Since the 4 link is triangulated, there isn't a need for a track bar. I know 4wheel parts carries the same knuckle they use, as well as the other steering components. Either way, it's not going to be cheap, but it's better for me to piece it together. I suck when it comes to saving money. Lol.
Back to top Go down
laid720
Acro Rep
laid720

Male
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 7:42 am

welcome to the family.
Back to top Go down
Isaac3384

Male

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
AcroPozzi
Acro Rep
AcroPozzi

Male
Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 3:04 pm

shit ike for 7k you can buy a cover truck damn near!!
Back to top Go down
keith
Acro Rep
keith

Male
Number of posts : 3235
Registration date : 2010-01-30

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Yep
Back to top Go down
http://[url=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=99&u=
aintscared
Acro Rep
aintscared

Male
Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 7:25 am

The Front suspensions on these trucks is extremely tempermental. Make sure whatever you decide on is built for your truck and designed for what you plan on doing with it. I took a 10" Super Lift 4-link kit and added 4"s on top of it and almost never got it all fixed. Which mine was a factory coil set to begin with.

North Texas Newb - Page 2 Truck023-1

North Texas Newb - Page 2 DigitalCamera073
Back to top Go down
SelfBuiltRods
Acro Prospect
SelfBuiltRods

Male
Number of posts : 1070
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 7:47 am

Im sure between Geno, Myself, and a couple other fab guys on here we can get something planned out for you. You could get your air management kit for around 2k with an oasis compressor and two eight gallon tanks, 3/8 valves, and a set of Re8's or contitech triple stacks. Then moving on to suspension, your probably looking at 3k or 4k worth of fabrication. Coilovers for that thing would run close to 5k alone, because I would advise using a set of bypass non coilovers in conjunction with your coilovers. I would suggest doing a triangulated four link in the rear with a panhard bar with bag on axle and the same for the front with parallel link bars.
Back to top Go down
aintscared
Acro Rep
aintscared

Male
Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 8:07 am

what he said. lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Isaac3384

Male

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:12 am

I know, Pozzi, but it's not what I want.

I know the front suspension on these trucks can be hard to work with. I had a 99 with a 4" lift that would get a horrible death wobble because the track bar had a worn bushing.

I've been considering different front suspension setups, and I think you're right about a parallel 4 link and track bar setup. If it were going to be a static lift, I would probably just go with a factory style setup (like the 05+ trucks) for the link bars, but since the height will be adjustable, the 4 link will be my best bet.

On the plus side, I do have a large gooseneck trailer that I'll be selling soon, so that will be around $4000 in my pocket to get the ball rolling on this project.
Back to top Go down
1Bad90
Acro Member
1Bad90

Male
Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:07 am

Isaac3384 wrote:

I know the front suspension on these trucks can be hard to work with. I had a 99 with a 4" lift that would get a horrible death wobble because the track bar had a worn bushing.

I've been considering different front suspension setups, and I think you're right about a parallel 4 link and track bar setup. If it were going to be a static lift, I would probably just go with a factory style setup (like the 05+ trucks) for the link bars, but since the height will be adjustable, the 4 link will be my best bet.

On the plus side, I do have a large gooseneck trailer that I'll be selling soon, so that will be around $4000 in my pocket to get the ball rolling on this project.

I have the death wobble on my truck every once in a while. And I have no idea why. BUT It would be cool to have a lifted truck to park under at a show.
Back to top Go down
Isaac3384

Male

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:12 am

I keep trying to get Shawny B to park the LUV under it, but I think he's scared...lol
Back to top Go down
Isaac3384

Male

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:02 pm

I've done some research on the Oasis compressor, and unless I buy a 24V model, it's going to pull 180 amps (the 24v model pulls 90). I'll probably run viair; I can buy 2 viair 444s and still pay less than a quarter of what the Oasis costs. The guys at Ballistic told me that with the semi bags I would only run about 25psi in the rear and about 40psi up front. They don't use much pressure at all; it's a large volume of air that's needed for those bags. I should be just fine with 10-15 gallons of air, even of I only run 150psi; which would be a walk in the park for a couple viairs.
Back to top Go down
Isaac3384

Male

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 pm

This is the high steer knuckle I'm going to have to buy to keep my steering linkage as flat as possible so that it doesn't mess with me when I adjust the height. Another $400 added to the bill...lol

North Texas Newb - Page 2 9AAD23C0-B5CA-4AC1-8BE4-4AE8E2BDB1CD-2359-000002AF05D6ACF2

The linkage from the Pittman arm will go to the top of the knuckle, and the linkage that connects to the driver side knuckle will attach to the lower portion...

As soon as I sell my trailer I'll begin ordering parts. I should be able to buy all my air ride components (and begin installing them), the 4 links, the knuckle, and some steel for making the bag brackets. I may end up having Geno build a small drop cage for the 4 links to attach to; just to dress things up a bit and show that it's not a pre-fabbed, bolt-on kit.
Back to top Go down
SelfBuiltRods
Acro Prospect
SelfBuiltRods

Male

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Isaac3384 wrote:

Pics of said trailer?

Anywho, BnC offroad near Houston just finished a mega cab dodge called "Bionic". Its solid axle up front, bagged, and pure D badass. https://www.facebook.com/bionicram?ref=ts&fref=ts Check it out. May give you some ideas. Ive been racking my brain all day on the steering. I know hydro steering is expensive, but I think its the only way to go on air.
Back to top Go down
SelfBuiltRods
Acro Prospect
SelfBuiltRods

Male

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Isaac3384 wrote:
I've done some research on the Oasis compressor, and unless I buy a 24V model, it's going to pull 180 amps (the 24v model pulls 90). I'll probably run viair; I can buy 2 viair 444s and still pay less than a quarter of what the Oasis costs. The guys at Ballistic told me that with the semi bags I would only run about 25psi in the rear and about 40psi up front. They don't use much pressure at all; it's a large volume of air that's needed for those bags. I should be just fine with 10-15 gallons of air, even of I only run 150psi; which would be a walk in the park for a couple viairs.

10-15 gallons for two 444s is a load.

Boom, and It then came to me... Engine driven! Duh!
Back to top Go down
Isaac3384

Male

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:59 am

I've been studying the 'bionic' build hard over the last few nights. It's a badass setup to say the least.

I've considered engine driven, but my engine compartment is already cramped as it is; all the piping for the intake takes up quite a bit of space. I haven't taken a hard look to see if I have room if I modify shit, but I'm pretty sure it would be a huge pain in the ass. I'd probably be better off buying a high output alternator and setting it up to run the oasis.

Before I buy anything for the steering, I'm going to price out and consider all my options. You may be right.
Back to top Go down
SelfBuiltRods
Acro Prospect
SelfBuiltRods

Male

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:00 am

Shoot me a text and we can collaborate some ideas if you'd like. 214-725-1948.
Back to top Go down
Isaac3384

Male

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:54 pm

This is the trailer:
27' flat deck
5' dovetail
2-10,000# dexter oil bath axles

North Texas Newb - Page 2 3BEA75B1-8717-4786-8B08-C1D9ED5747EB-1007-000001B06146862B

I'll hit you up in a day or two; gotta organize the garage tomorrow, then I'm heading to a Halloween party. Recovering Sunday...lol

I did find out that the work truck model of my truck had a dual alternator setup to run the additional accessories. I also found a high output (200 amp) alternator that bolts directly in. The kit includes a new crank pulley, idler pulley, and all the brackets.
Back to top Go down
AcroPozzi
Acro Rep
AcroPozzi

Male
Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 12:23 pm

damn thats a heavy duty trailer!! too bad it aint like 40 ft or id be interested.. i think were selling the wedge we just bought and goin back to a low boy 2 car..
Back to top Go down
Isaac3384

Male

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:06 am

The only thing I don't like about the low boys is the amount of tail swing. Other than that, they're great. The wedge haulers typically have the axles closer to the rear, so the swing isn't as bad, but they do create more drag having the cars up that high. I may be wrong about axle placement on the low boys, but they sure do look like they're further forward than the wedge haulers.

I'd love to keep it, I just don't have any use for it. I only got it as an investment to flip and make some cash.
Back to top Go down
drock123
Acro Member
drock123

Male
Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 9:09 am

welcome. nice truck buddy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North Texas Newb   North Texas Newb - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

North Texas Newb
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2