AcrophobiA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomewwwLatest imagesRegisterLog in
This forum is closed. Please register on the new forum at www.therealacrophobia.com/forum

possibly doing my first suspension....

Go down 
+7
AcroRigo
rojo
AcroFarmer
AcroPozzi
Big Dangler
bagged69c10
Joey
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joey

Joey

Male
Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-01-26

possibly doing my first suspension.... Empty
PostSubject: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 11:50 am

well i finally got a job after 6 months so i finally have some money to do some stuff to my truck... first im just going to do the front hopefully here soon. i was wondering what kind of control arms are the best to use, i was wondering about chopping block, can do, and air ride control arms. anyone here used them and liked them or problems out of them. and what kind of air bags have had the best results, i was thinking about going with slam specialties because i see a lot of guys running those. just looking for opinions and advice. thinks
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/1989camaro
bagged69c10
Acro Prospect
bagged69c10

Male
Number of posts : 1529
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 12:00 pm

I have never had control arms but I've always liked Slams. The main reason I like them is because they don't expand throughout travel like most other bags.
Back to top Go down
Big Dangler

Big Dangler

Male
Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2008-10-02

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Slams are great bags.
As far as arms, what size wheels are you planning on running?
Back to top Go down
AcroPozzi
Acro Rep
AcroPozzi

Male
Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 1:40 pm

yea i have never used arms either. i lay a 30" tall tire with stock arms and drop spindles
Back to top Go down
Joey

Joey

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 4:07 pm

I have drop spindles already too, I wanna lay on 22's. Right now I have 20's. Also where would the best place to get all the stuff? And what do you have to do to the stock arms?
Back to top Go down
AcroPozzi
Acro Rep
AcroPozzi

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 4:56 pm

suicidedoors.com is a reasonable place to buy air ride parts.. very reputable. as for the arms some people re do the ball joint angles, or plate them. my uppers are flipped... because chassis crap told me too. you can find build pics of your style front end easily on gmfullsize.com
Back to top Go down
AcroFarmer
Acro Rep

Male
Number of posts : 3017
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 6:20 pm

holler at rigo on here from minitruckin.net he'll hook ya up im sure pimpin!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/danielcfarmer
Joey

Joey

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Alright awesome thanks.. yea I'm over there on gmfullsize too... ill see about those places hopefully if everything goes right.I will be able to get this done in the next month or two
Back to top Go down
AcroPozzi
Acro Rep
AcroPozzi

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 7:35 am

your truck is one of the easiest trucks to lay out. front suspension should be cake
Back to top Go down
Joey

Joey

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 9:24 am

sweet i need something easy, do you think i could do the front in a weekend? if i have already relocated evething and somewhat got everthing cut out? im really hopin to have this thing completely bagged by summer.... been saying that forever now Neutral
Back to top Go down
bagged69c10
Acro Prospect
bagged69c10

Male
Number of posts : 1529
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 am

It should definately be able to be done in a weekend. I believe to lay 22s you have to notch for the tierods and either dehump the lower arms or pie cut the frame. You also have to cut the spring pocket for clearance. There was a big tech article months ago in StreetTrucks on how to do it.
Back to top Go down
rojo
Acro Rep
rojo

Male
Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 am

and were about to do that on jareds hoe too
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/anaandrojo
Big Dangler

Big Dangler

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 11:37 am

To lay on 22s on a 88-98 you need to notch the frame for tie rods as well as your lower control arms.
I used Air ride technology upper and lowers on mine in conjunction with DJM drop spindles and Slam Specialties RE7z.
You will also need to clearance your firewall for 22s unless you go with a 255/30/22 which is a tiny sidewall.
I bought all my stuff from Clint at KP Components. www.kplinks.com
Back to top Go down
Joey

Joey

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 am

awesome thanks dangler thats gonna help. ok got another question air management... air zenith or viair? either just as good or better quality? i know air zenith is a lot more expensive but these are the kits i have been thinkin about goin with... maybe this air zenith ob2 package w/ the accuair valve and level kit...

AIR-ZENITH OB2 2-Pack $759.99
Kit Contents:
■ 2x AIR-ZENITH OB2 Compressors
■ 1x 5-Gallon Aluminum Chrome Anti-Rust Air Tank
■ 1x AIR-ZENITH Adjustable Pressure Switch with 1/4-NPT Fitting
■ 1x AIR-ZENITH 220 PSI Digital Pressure Gauge
■ 2x 1/2-Inch Teflon-Lined Braided Air Hoses
■ 2x 1/2-Inch NPT Air Tank Fittings
■ 2x 80A Heavy Duty Relay
■ 2 Years Manufacture Warranty
AccuAir e-Level Electronic Leveling System 4-Corner Package w/ TouchPad $1,095.00
AccuAir VU4 4-Corner Valve Unit $474.99

or just going w/ the full kit from accuair...

AccuAir e-Level Stage II Air Management Package (w/ TouchPad & Dual Compressors) $2,195.00
Description:
• Dual High Volume Compressors provide recovery time (110-150psi) of only 52 Seconds.
• VU4 4-Corner Solenoid Valve Unit provides responsive and reliable air spring control in a single compact, pre-wired, leak-free package.
• Anodized Aluminum 5 Gallon Tank prevents corrosion.
• Aluminum Air Filter prevents debris from entering valves to guarantee reliable valve operation.
• D.O.T. Approved Plumbing Kit guarantees leak-free installation.
• Includes e-Level™️ 4-Corner Electronic Leveling System Features:
• 3 Programmable Heights Lowered / Ride Height / Raised.
• RideMonitor™️ Mode adjusts as needed while driving or parked.
• TruPosition™️ Height Sensors provide accurate leveling regardless of load.
• Ride-Height-on-Start gets you ready to drive when you turn the key.
• Anti “Cross-loading” Height Management gives balanced spring weights.
• TouchPad™️accesses your 3 programmable heights and controls each individual air spring or front and rear as a pair.
• Key-Chain Remote (optional) accesses your 3 programmable heights from up to 200 ft away.
• Automatically Calibrates to any Air Suspension System on any vehicle, (NO user programming required).
• Straight to Height adjustments avoid valve “pulsing” and gets you ready to drive immediately.
• Active Learning maximizes leveling performance after every adjustment.
• Manages Air Compressors for faster recovery / Stage II Package has a recovery time of only
52 seconds (100-150 psi).
• Monitors Vehicle Voltage and automatically turns compressor(s) OFF at 10.5 volts to prevent a dead battery.
• 100% Weather-Proof for under vehicle mounting.
• Plug-n-Play wiring harnesses for ease of installation.
• Each System is 100% Factory Tested.

any help and opinions with this would be appreciated too... just tryin to get everthing right the first time and get all my info before i spend this money.... thanks
Back to top Go down
AcroRigo
Acro Member
AcroRigo

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 9:37 am

Let me know if you need any air ride parts that are not metal Very Happy I can Hook U UP!!! Tanks Compressors valves Fittings!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/acrorigo
Big Dangler

Big Dangler

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 2:49 pm

I have always run Viair compressors.
I am using two 400cs, the recovery time is under three minutes.
Back to top Go down
Joey

Joey

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Alright thanks man, I love your truck btw
Back to top Go down
MICHIGAN MIKE
Acro Rep
MICHIGAN MIKE

Male
Number of posts : 1235
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Viair!!!!! Tried and true! I have been useing them for shit, 5 or 6 years now. Hell if you can swing it get the engine driven from AirLift. I have it on my Lincoln/Ranger and its friggin awsome!!!!!! Really nice truck by the way man! Very smart on how your doing your homework! Good luck bra. Cool
Back to top Go down
Joey

Joey

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 1:08 am

Thanks man, yea I'm tryin to do everything right so I only gotta do it once lol your truck is just another one I admire sweet work man. But yea might go with the viair and accuair combo be a little cheaper and work more for what I'm wantin, ill keep thay edc in mind too. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
MICHIGAN MIKE
Acro Rep
MICHIGAN MIKE

Male
Number of posts : 1235
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks man. I try. lol. so whats the air management decision? I just bought the Viair 380 dual pack and 7gallon tank for my full size.
Back to top Go down
Joey

Joey

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Well I haven't made my decision yet but I'm thinkin option two... I want the accuair so its gonna be the better set up, some people say I should get it done by a shop but idk... I don't want it hacked but I also don't have the money for that... and no other vehicle. So I'm in a dilema with that too... but I'm thinkin re7 bags, kp six link, accuair/viair managemen, and possible choppin block arms if money is good....
Back to top Go down
Clenzer72

Clenzer72

Male
Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 10:29 pm

Don't buy cheap. Buy quality parts from clint or rigo. Those "combo kits" I hear never have everything you need.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/clenzer  but never update! On FB too
Joey

Joey

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 pm

oh ok. thanks ill probably have to buy it all separatly anyways.. one peice at a time lol
Back to top Go down
Clenzer72

Clenzer72

Male
Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:35 am

That's how I did my front the first time...lol. Learn as you go!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/clenzer  but never update! On FB too
Joey

Joey

Male

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 1:10 pm

That's what imma try to do lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: possibly doing my first suspension....   possibly doing my first suspension.... Empty

Back to top Go down

possibly doing my first suspension....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next