AcrophobiA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomewwwLatest imagesRegisterLog in
This forum is closed. Please register on the new forum at www.therealacrophobia.com/forum

88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s

Go down 
+2
1Bad90
insomnia
6 posters
AuthorMessage
insomnia
Acro Rep
insomnia

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-09-05

88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s Empty
PostSubject: 88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s   88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Ok guys, looking at a few different parts and looking for input. I saw Jason's issues (twice now) with MMW A-arms, although they look cool, snapping it once would've had me throwing those F'ers in the trash, lol. So you can see I'm not sold on those yet.

Just wondering what you guys are running and if you had any issues or wish you'd have bought something else. I've heard various stories about wheel placement, steering, etc. Just trying to figure out the real deal. I know I can lay it out on stock arms with drop spindles if I wanted but looking to see what arms work good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wheelstop.com
1Bad90
Acro Member
1Bad90

Male
Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: 88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s   88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Jason snapped it again at Scrapin the coast. He is running the jebus version if I remember right. I noticed the ball joint cup hits the top of the spindle when he is lifted up. The "cheaper" versions have a different ball joint set up. I'm running stock arms on my truck for now. Just did the pie cut on the frame. I've been hearing that the notchless tie rods are a bitch to align.
Back to top Go down
SelfBuiltRods
Acro Prospect
SelfBuiltRods

Male
Number of posts : 1070
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s   88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 4:45 pm

First of all, notchless tie rods are the dumbest idea ever. What alignment shop is REALLY going to keep separating the rod end from the knuckle THIRTY TIMES to get the toe set?!

I have never heard of any MMW arms breaking, so if there is a thread about that somewhere please share. Knowing what size wheel your gonna be running would help me help you lol. I know Ekstensive just released some arms this year that will allow you to lay on 24s. One thing I would look for is this... Make sure that whatever you buy, pushes the wheel to fender centerline. It looks terrible for a badass truck on big wheels to have the wheel shoved up in the firewall!
Back to top Go down
Dodge Rob
Acro Rep
Dodge Rob

Male
Number of posts : 1767
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: 88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s   88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 5:14 pm

I thought it was the ball joint that snapped. Could be wrong though. Usually am, just ask my wife
Back to top Go down
CodyHicks
Acro Member
CodyHicks

Male
Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: 88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s   88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Sounds like the truck gets more
Lift than the upper arm allows... Probably wrong too
Back to top Go down
http://<iframe width="560" height="315" s
insomnia
Acro Rep
insomnia

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: 88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s   88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 8:19 am

It was the ball joint (jeebus joint) that had snapped. I think it maybe was caused from overextension going up, but I recall he needed it that high to turn on the 22's. Maybe he'll chime in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wheelstop.com
LAYINGNUTZ
Acro Rep
LAYINGNUTZ

Male
Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: 88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s   88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 8:42 pm

the upper joint is what snapped.. im running the mmw arms with the jeebus joint with a set of drop spindles. taylor at mmw said he had no idea why they were snapping. i finally figured it out.. my truck was perfectly in alignment so thats not it.. my truck is bodydropped and im runnin slam ss8s in the front. to clear the fender with the wheel i had to run 125 psi. no big deal rhode fine. but at that height the outter part of the arm was touchin the spindle.. so as i was driving and hittin bumps and dips in the road whatever, the suspesion was exteding and binding up putting extreme pressure on the joint kinda like a bottle opener.. they both broke after about 400 miles. so now i ride at about 100 psi and i tuck the whole tire. the fender line is at the rim... which is fine cuz the semi wheel dips i i can drive all over tuckin the tire and pretty much turn around with it barely rubbin.. dave if u dont plan on boddydroppin it and plan on runnin a 22 then u should be fine.. ive put over 1000 miles on it since stc with no problems... the arms doesnt rub anymore. i can take some pics of them if u want just text me and ill send em over. one more thing it took him about 6 weeks to get me the arms
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s   88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s Empty

Back to top Go down

88-98 Chevy suspension ?'s
Page 1 of 1